CHEARSLEY PARISH COUNCIL
DRAFT MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 19TH JUNE 2017 IN THE VILLAGE HALL AT 7.30PM
Councillors: Nic Brown (NB), John Lewis (JL), Martin Hearmon (MH), Paul Bown (PAB), Clive Harriss
Parish Clerk: Helen Spurgeon
Responsible Finance Officer: Robert Parkes (RP)
Parishioners: There were 2 Parishioners
DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
There were no interests declared.
PARISHIONERS QUESTION TIME
Fenella Tillier handed over to the Parish Council old minute books dating back many years. There are many PC documents in storage which are to be put into archives. It is hoped to make these historic documents available to the public.
Fenella asked about the walnut tree outside her house which is in need of attention. ME is mapping the trees in the village that the Parish Council are responsible for. ACTION: ME to produce report/map prior to next meeting. It can then be determined what work is required to be done by the tree surgeons.
A parishioner expressed concerns over the hedge by the Cricket Club. This is the responsibility of the Cricket Club and they should be contacted directly.
Julia Witcher (JW), Michael Edmonds (ME), John Howard (JH).
2. APPROVAL OF MAY 2017 MINUTES
Minutes were agreed as a true record and signed by Chairman, Nic Brown.
3. MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES
· Insurance policy review & asset register. RP supplied the insurance company details. ACTION: NB & Clerk to review the asset register.
· War Memorial repair and conservation. ACTION: Clerk and JL to arrange to meet to complete War Memorials Trust Grant Application form.
· Signage for Village Green. The first ‘No Parking’ sign has now been removed.
· Bus Shelters. The new bus stop signs are now up. MH has spoken to Jon Parry and instructed him to carry out the improvement work to the bus shelter interiors over the summer holidays. Jay in the shop is speaking to his ice-cream supplier to see if they are able to supply a replacement litter bin outside the shop.
· Communication. ACTION: Clerk to contact JW to see if a Chearsley PC Facebook page has been set up.
· Kerbing. The kerbing work in Dark Lane has been completed.
· Defibrillator. An electricity supply to the bus shelter is needed. ACTION: JL to follow up with Paul Oliver or appropriate electrical contractor.
· Planning: 2-4 Winchendon Rd. NB has circulated the views of the Parish Council to AVDC. There is a large deviation from the original plans. We are awaiting a proposal from VAHT.
· Creation of a new bank account to manage Village Hall funds. ACTION: RP to open a sub-account specifically to receive stage payment from AVDC.
· Nominating an asset of community value – Chearsley Stores. NB is waiting to hear back from the shop owners.
· Working with other PCs. This will continue to be done on an informal basis.
· Street furniture for village green. NB suggested the Copperfield hooded 90 litre litter bin which can either be attached to the ground using ballast or bolted. ACTION: NB to send out summary of various litter bin options including square bins before the next meeting for councillors to agree. Maximum cost of £300 per bin. ACTION: NB to investigate the options for railings.
· BCC grass cuts. The PC are unhappy with the current service. BCC do not seem to be cutting according to the grass cutting map. It may be better to devolve rather than continue with BCC. ACTION: PB to find out exactly where and when the grass is cut and the cost of it and to determine what our grass cutting needs are. ACTION: Clerk to email PB the contact details of Graham King.
· 17/01836/COUAR – Land at Chilton Road, Chearsley
ACTION: Clerk to submit no objections to AVDC.
· 17/01807/APP – Land adjacent to Grove Farm, Chearsley Rd, Long Crendon
Construction of cattle yard.
ACTION: Clerk to email ME and Mike Hawkett to request their comments. Site meeting to be arranged following receipt of comments.
· Planning applications – unanimous or majority decision
It was agreed to continue with the current AVDC format of ticking a box to record whether the PC has no objections, supports or opposes the application. If any of the Councillors wish to record the number of votes for or against a decision and the names of those Councillors voting, this can be done in the Minutes.
· An email was received regarding funds available for communities disrupted by HS2. The PC agreed that Chearsley would not be eligible for this funding.
· An email was received from AVDC regarding emergency reception and rest centres. It was agree that whilst the Village Hall is being rebuilt the Cricket Club would be put on the register and then the new Village Hall from April 2018. ACTION: Clerk to respond to AVDC.
6. CONTRIBUTIONS FROM AVDC AND BCC COUNCILLORS
Clive Harriss, our new BCC Councillor, introduced himself and aims to attend the PC meeting whenever possible.
It was recorded in the June Finance Report that the PC has now moved to automated banking. A claim has been submitted to HMRC for a refund of VAT for £1900. Two items were scheduled for payment: road signs and the Clerk’s salary & expenses.
8. REPORTS FROM COUNCILLORS ATTENDING MEETINGS AND OUTSIDE ORGANISATIONS
JL and JH attended the Haddenham & Long Crendon Local Community Area Forum on 15th June. Notes from the meeting have been circulated by JL and will be filed with the Minutes. A sum of £5.2k has been ring-fenced within LAF 2017/8 budget to support new traffic calming measures undertaken in the village. This sum will have to be match-funded by the PC. The PC will have to forward a specific proposal when the recommendations from the Feasibility Study are received – hopefully in the next fortnight.
Financial Regulations and Risk Assessment– RP will continue to produce a monthly finance report and a more detailed quarterly report. This will be trialled for a couple of months and then PC governance will be built around it. Any feedback from the PC is welcomed.
10. MIKE HEYBROOK’S FOOTPATHS REPORT
JH met with Mike Heybrook and all gates are now in working order. Mike will consider the possibility of replacing some of the gates via the ‘Donate a Gate’ scheme run by the Chiltern Society and Bucks CC. ACTION: JH to update further at next meeting.
11. CHEARSLEY FLAG AND PC LOGO
Some initial designs were distributed. Long Crendon School are producing some further options. ACTION: NB to bring complete dossier of ideas to next meeting.
12. NEW DOG BIN AT STONEY FURLONG
It was agreed to go ahead with the new dog bin. ACTION: Clerk to order with AVDC.
13. LAF FUNDING FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF TRAFFIC CALMING MEASURES
This was covered under point 8 above.
14. INCREASE FOR VILLAGE MOWING
We currently pay £100/cut for parish mowing (Village Green, war memorial etc) and £150/cut for parish footpath mowing. The current contractor is asking for an increase. It was agreed this was reasonable due to the expense of the equipment needed. ACTION: PB to take on as part of his work looking at the BCC grass cuts.
15. PROPOSAL FOR VILLAGE EVENT ROAD SIGNS TO SLOW TRAFFIC
The organising committee of the Classic Car Show have requested PC support for road signs carrying a message such as “Village Event Ahead – Please Slow Down”. These could be used for all future village events. If 4 signs are purchased, the cost is £140 (£35 each) plus costs of inserts as required. It was agreed to go ahead with the purchase. ACTION: JH.
It was noted that the PC should apply for a road closure for Remembrance Day this year.
16. PARISHIONERS QUESTION TIME
A Parishioner asked what was happening with the repairs to Aylesbury Road. The PC is committed to getting the roads improved but the repairs won’t be scheduled until next year. Cllr Clive Harriss is supporting this work.
A Parishioner enquired about the pruning of the holly hedge on Hicks Path. ACTION: NB to speak to Ian.
A Parishioner requested that during meetings it is made clearer where we are on the Agenda and which topics we are discussing. A large amount of work is done by email between meetings in order to progress thing more quickly.
17. ITEMS FOR INFORMATION
It was agreed to purchase the Red Ensign flag to be flown on Merchant Navy Day on 3rd September 2017. ACTION: Clerk.
18. DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING in Chearsley Village Hall
· Monday 17th July 2017 at 7.30pm (This will be the last meeting in the Village Hall)
· It was agreed not to hold a meeting in August due to holidays.